Thursday 11 August 2011

iMovie 11 fails to export Quicktime with error ~2125 on Lion

I recently tried exporting 2:49 hours of HDV footage to a 1080p Quicktime using iMovie 11 on my brand new Mac mini. The initial estimation of duration was 13 hours, which rose to 21 hours and then 24 hours.

This morning I discovered that the export had failed with a rather cryptic error code of ~2125. While I was on the phone to AppleCare (summary based on my first ever call: don't bother) I noticed that I only had 5gb of disk space free. Before I started exporting I had around 120gb free.

What I discovered is that iMovie uses a temporary file, and in the case of a ~2125 error this temporary file is not removed. After much searching, I tracked my file to the following location: ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/

Here's the culprit:
-rw-r--r-- 1 timdp staff 112589413689 11 Aug 01:33 ICMMultiPassStorage-526-bfffde94-1

Taking up 113gb (22.6% stats fans) of my drive. Not cool.

Here's my remedy:
Press CMD + Space
Type Terminal, press return
In Terminal, type cd ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/
Type ls -l, to see if you have a large file
Type rm , so in my case rm ICMMultiPassStorage-526-bfffde94-1
Close Terminal


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't totally understand what the terminal chain is doing, but is that file something you can delete to clear space for rendering?